Even though our cars are something that we will use almost every day, they are still not immune to issues and errors, just like any other type of machine. One particular component of cars which can often experience issues is the battery.
A car’s battery is an integral part of the design, and without it, you will be unable to get your car running.
While you will never lose the battery of your car, it is very possible for that battery to die for a variety of reasons. But as long as you are prepared for this, there is no need to fret.
Even though an error with the battery is detrimental to your car’s ability to run, it is actually an easy fix and something that can usually be sorted without even needing to take your car to the garage.
All you need to do is jump-start your car and you are good to go again.
In this guide, we’re looking at the best jump starters which come with an air compressor, so if you want to find out more then keep on reading.
Jump Starter with Air Compressor: Explained
You might have heard of a jump starter before, you might even have heard of a jump starter with an air compressor. But there is a good chance that you may not know exactly what this device is.
Jump-starters remove the need for another car, allowing you to easily restart your battery in the unfortunate event that it dies.
Traditional jump starters were powered with lead-acid batteries, but this caused the devices to be big and bulky, which is why they were slowly replaced.
The device that replaced them was a jump starter with an air compressor. These devices are powered by lithium-ion batteries which makes them much lighter to carry, which is always convenient considering you might go years without using your jump starter.
As well as being lighter, the replacements also come with an air compressor. This is incredibly convenient as it means as long as you have one of these in your boot, you never have to worry about a flat tire or a dead battery.
But what are the key things you need to consider when buying a jump starter with an air compressor? Let’s take a look.
Things to Consider
When buying a jump starter with an air compressor there are some key things you need to consider, to help you out we’ve put together this quick guide for you.
All jump starters with air compressors come in different sizes, but the best ones will be small and light enough that they are easy to carry.
Jump starters often need to be used in emergencies so it is best to have one that is easy to move about.
In a lot of cases, the larger jump starters will be able to output more power, but depending on what type of car you have, the majority of the time you will not need the level of power that these devices provide.
When it comes to jump starters we think that the smaller they are, the better they are as it means you can pop it in your trunk and forget about it until you need to use it next.
So as long as it is powerful enough to restart your car’s battery, the size does not matter.
While the two key features of a jump starter with an air compressor will, of course, be the jump starter and the air compressor, it is always good to get one with additional capabilities for the utmost convenience.
In particular, it is always good if you can get a jump starter which also comes with 12V, 120V, and USB connections as this will allow you to charge sensitive smaller electronics too, which could be very helpful in your time of need.
As well as charging capabilities, it is also handy to look for a jump starter with an air compressor that also has an LED light built-in.
This allows you to see in the dark, so if you end up having to do work in your car during the night you will always be able to see what you are doing.
At the time of purchase, these features might not seem important, but they will definitely be very helpful when a situation where you have to use the device arises.
Amps and PSI
Finally, let’s take a look at perhaps the most important feature, and that is the device’s amp and PSI output.
The amp rating is the amount of power that the jump start will be able to put out, and the PSI rating will control how fast the air compressor can fill your tire.
It is more important that you consider the amp rating than the PSI rating. Depending on the type of car that you have, your vehicle will need a specific amount of amps to be able to restart the battery.
Most cars only need approximately 600 amps to be restarted, so while it might be tempting to go for a hugely powerful device, you might want to reconsider this.
Powerful jump starters often tend to be very big and bulky which makes them inconvenient to use. This isn’t something that you want, so in this case, it is best to simply buy a jump starter that has enough power to restart your specific car’s battery.
PSI is less important than amps because even if the air compressor has a low PSI rating it will still be able to do the job, it will simply do the job slower.
When considering the best PSI rating for you, you should consider the roads that you drive on. If you spend a lot of time on busy roads, you might opt for a more powerful PSI as you will want your tire to refill quicker.
No matter what you decide, it is vitally important that you consider PSI and amps when buying a jump starter with an air compressor to ensure you get one that will do the job that you want to get done.
OUR TOP PICK
Our favorite jump starter with an air compressor is manufactured by BUTURE.
One of the best things about this jump starter is how powerful it is. It has an incredible 2500 amps peak current which allows the jump starter to get your battery running again in less than 3 seconds.
It also has an incredibly powerful air compressor that can fix a flat tire in no time.
Finally, it has a very small and compact design that allows you to carry this device in your car without it taking up lots of space.
With all of this considered, it’s clear that this is one of the best options on the market.
- 2500 amps Peak Current - extremely powerful allowing you to jump-start your flat battery in just 1-3 seconds, so your car will not be dead for long
- Compact Design - measures less than 12 inches so that this jump starter will not take up much room in your trunk, allowing you to carry it with you at all times
- Safety Features - including current, short-circuit, overload, and over-voltage protection so that you will always be safe when using this device
- No notable drawbacks
Another great option is the UTRAI portable jump starter with an air compressor.
The best thing about this jump starter with an air compressor is that it is incredibly versatile.
Not only can it be used with a regular car, but the air compressor is also compatible with air beds, kayaks, and pretty much anything that can be inflated, bringing no limit to how useful this device can be.
It is also very easy to use thanks to the LCD screens which feature on this device allowing you to easily read starter data and tire pressure when needed.
So there’s no question that this is one of the best jump starters with an air compressor available.
- LCD Screens - allowing you to easily read tire pressure, and data of the starter directly off of the jump starter for ultimate ease of use
- Incredibly Versatile - compatible with regular cars, and the air compressor is also compatible with air beds and kayaks giving no end to the usefulness of this device
- Additional Features - comes with fast-charge USB ports and a car cigarette adaptor to prepare you for any emergencies that might occur due to your car battery dying
- No notable drawbacks
You should also consider the Dewalt DXAEJ14 jump starter with an air compressor.
This is another powerful jump starter and air compressor with 1400 amps and 120 PSI which is more than enough to get your car running again or your tire back to full.
Another great thing about this jump starter is that both the key components have a universal fit which means that it is compatible with all makes and models of cars.
Finally, it has built-in USB sockets which allow you to charge your sensitive electronics whenever needed. So there’s no doubt that this is one of the best options on the market.
- 1400 amps and 120 PSI - providing you with a powerful jump starter and an air compressor which will get your car running/tire full again
- Universal Fit - means that this air compressor and jump starter is compatible with all makes and models of vehicle
- Built-in USB sockets - allow you to charge your sensitive electronics whenever you need to, so you will never be without your cellphone in an emergency
- No AC Charging Cord - the jump starter does not come with a charging cable, it has to be bought separately
We also love the Clore Automotive Jump-N-Carry jump starter with an air compressor.
Our favorite thing about this option is that it comes with 68-inch welding cables which provide you with plenty of lengths when connecting your car’s battery to the jump starter.
One issue with many jump starters is that the cable is too short, but this isn’t an issue with this option.
Additionally, it has a rubberized base for added safety and a voltmeter that allows you to monitor when the onboard battery of the jump starter requires recharging.
With all of this considered, there’s no question that this is one of the best available.
- 68-inch Welding Cables - allow you to easily reach the starting points of your vehicle without the hassle of having to stretch them just to reach
- Rubberized Base - provides added stability to the jump starter, making it more secure and safe to use with your vehicle
- Voltmeter - allows you to monitor when the onboard battery requires recharging by simply looking at a screen, so you no longer have to worry about it being dead in your time of need
- It is Slow - the air compressor component of this jump starter is a lot slower than its competitors, but it still gets the job done
Alternatively, the JFEWGO car jump starter with an air compressor is a brilliant choice.
The key feature of this device is how easy it is to use and transport. It is extremely easy to use, even if you do not know much about jump starters or air compressors, and it is also able to inflate a flat tire in 10 minutes.
It is also very small and lightweight allowing you to easily slot this device into the trunk of your vehicle for when the need should arise.
Finally, this device is compatible with all mainstream cars, as well as lawnmowers, motorcycles, ATVs, and even yachts. All of this combined makes this device one of the best on the market.
- Universal - this device is compatible with all mainstream auto vehicles, and also works with yachts, lawnmowers, motorcycles, and ATVs so it will always be helpful
- Quick and Easy - this device is extremely easy to use and can pump up a completely flat tire in just 10 minutes so that you will be back on the road in no time
- Compact and Lightweight - small design makes it easy to transport this device in your car without it taking up lots of room so that whenever you need it, it’s there ready for use
- No Instructions - included in the box, so figuring out how to use this can be tricky if you haven’t used a jump starter/air compressor before
If you want a brand that you know you can trust, the Stanley J5C09 Jump-It jump starter with an air compressor is a brilliant choice.
Just like the JFEWGO car jump starter which we just looked at, a key feature of the Stanley ‘Jump-It’ is how user-friendly it is.
This applies to both the jump starter and the air compressor, so even if you have no experience with either of these devices you will be able to use it.
It also includes a carry handle which compensates for the fact that this device is heavier than average and an LED light that allows you to use it during the night.
With all of this in mind, there’s no doubt that this is one of the best available.
- User Friendly - a great choice for those with little experience of jump starters/air compressors as isn’t overly complex to use and is easy to control
- LED Light - makes it suitable to use this device during the night, and also makes it safer to use and see what you are doing
- Easily Portable - includes a carry handle on the top so that you can easily transport this jump starter with you whenever you need to use it
- Heavy Design - this device is heavier than some of its competitors which does make it a bit tricker to carry when you need to use it
Another good option is the POTEK jump starter with an air compressor.
The key feature of this device that makes it different from the others we have looked at is that it comes with multiple charging options so that you are not limited to just an AC cable.
You can also charge this jump starter using a DC cable, which gives you a lot more flexibility if you only have one of the options available.
It is also multi-use and is compatible with most cars, and the air compressor is compatible with balls, kayaks, and lots of other types of inflatables.
Finally, it has an LED light that allows you to see the battery capacity so that you know when it requires recharging, and also so that you can see what you’re doing should you need to use the device in the dark.
With all this considered, it’s clear this is one of the best options available.
- Multiple Charging Options - compatible with AC cable and DC adaptor in your car, so you are less limited with how you provide energy to this jump starter
- LED Lights - allow you to see the battery capacity to know when it needs charging, and help you to see when you have to use this device in the dark
- Multi-Use - can be used to jump-start your car, blow up tires, balls, and other inflatables, and also to charge smaller appliances, so there is no situation where this device will not be helpful
- Loud Operating Noise - the air compressor component of this device is very noisy when it is in use
Finally, you should consider buying the Michelin ML0728 jump starter with an air compressor.
This device has a jump start output of 1000 amps and an air compressor output of 260 PSI which makes it capable of most jobs.
Additionally, it has a LED work light for when you have to do things in the dark, Bluetooth connectivity, and can also be connected to AM/FM radio so you can listen to that while you do the work.
Finally, it is both portable and lightweight so that you can always keep this device in your car, making it easily one of the best options available.
- Outstanding Performance - 1000 amps and 260 PSI ensure that there is no battery too powerful or tire too big for this device to do the job
- Portable and Lightweight - measures less than 14 inches, and weighs less than 17 pounds for easy portability so that you can always carry this device in your car
- Additional Features - includes an LED work light, Bluetooth connectivity, and an AM/FM with a digital tuner so you can listen to music while you do the boring job
- Noisy when in Use - both the air compressor and the jump starter are noisy when in use, but this doesn’t impact its ability to do the job
How long does a jump starter last?
There is a lot of debate over how long a jump starter battery will last. However, the most common answer seems to be approximately 6 years.
Of course, there will always be an exception to this rule, and some jump starter batteries will last longer than 6 years and unfortunately, some will last for less than this.
Can you keep a jump starter in your car?
Yes, you can keep your jump starter in your car. This is actually the best place to store your jump starter as you will most likely have to use your jump starter with your car at some point in your car’s life.
So it is best to have it there ready for when you need it.
How many amps do I need to jump-start my car?
To jump-start most cars you will need between 400 and 600 amps, as this will be more than enough to start an average car.
This will increase for commercial vehicles as you can need up to 1500 amps to jump-start a commercial vehicle depending on the size.
But on average, you will need between 400 and 600 amps to restart your car’s battery.